Star Trek canon is loaded with all sorts of interesting technology, some of which can degenerate into what often feels like technobabble, but they haven't quite thought of everything.
People still become sick, and they still need to be treated, but the methods differ from our own, and they diverge more as time passes.
- Birth control shot - as a writer of PG-13 fiction, people are going to have sex. The shot is taken by either a man or a woman (and is different, depending upon gender and species). It is nearly 100% effective for relations with someone from one's own universe. Mirror gametes are considerably more resilient (the Mirror Universe is not just an area of heavy testosterone but also one where survival of the fittest continues to play a huge role) so the shot is more like 60% or so effective. The shot is fully reversible if the parties decide they want to become parents. For interspecies relations, most of the time, the shot is unnecessary, as usually interbreeding cannot occur without the intervention of medical technology.
- Experimental Ingredient #26 - it would be a spoiler to reveal what it is; it's from There's Something About Hoshi.
- Hypralonine - this is an injectible medication used for treating depression. Much like today's medicine, it is not always effective.
- Physical Enhancements - for time travelers, older medical care is primitive. To make time travel possible, travelers need to be rejiggered in a
lot of physical ways. Further, if time travelers are separated from some of their body parts, their extremities have homing devices in them. You can't just
leave a severed head in 1789 Paris. Hence, from top to bottom, time travelers receive the following enhancements, successors to Augment (canon) technology:
- Brain implants to enhance memory - time travelers have near-perfect recall; useful if you shouldn't be carrying around a PADD or tricorder.
- Ear implants with an implanted Communicator - it's a lot harder to lose it. Plus, hearing is enhanced; they can hear above and below the normal range of human hearing, and can hear faint sounds as well. This device also provides near instantaneous translations.
- Ocular lens implants - these allow for enhanced vision, obviating the need for glasses or contacts.
- Fingertip implants - it's convenient to be able to change or erase your own fingertips.
- Foot pad implants - while the time travelers aren't made any faster, they do reduce shock and wear and tear on the traveler's knees. This makes it easier to, if not run faster, at least to run longer distances without tiring quite so readily.
- Stem Cell Growth Accelerator - this is an enhanced immune system for time travelers. Imagine white blood cells fighting infection at an astounding rate, say, major diseases cured in less than an hour. The downside is all of the pain from infections and wounds, but within the compressed time period. This includes the itch of healing skin. Stem Cell Growth Accelerator is pretty unpleasant much of the time.
- Quatromenaline - This medication is used to treat depression, and is administered orally. It does not always work.
- Tricoulamine - information is in the blog post on tricoulamine.
Getting from place to place, whether spatially, temporally or in some other manner, is canon, but I have added some other means of getting from here to there or from now to then.
- Dark Matter/Energy Drive - some canon time ships are run via the use of chronitons (also a canon construction). In the Times of the HG Wells series, the older technology is being phased out and replaced with this. The universe (for real) is loaded with dark matter and dark energy. The idea is a type of propulsive drive used by newer time ships, which allows a time ship to fly both spatially and temporally.
- Pulse Shot - information on this technology is in the blog post on the pulse shot.
- Radiation Band Testers - information on this technology is in the blog post on radiation band testers.
- Temporal Enhancer - A hand-held or wrist-worn device, used in conjunction with the Temporal Enzyme, trichronium. If an individual is not injected with the Temporal Enzyme, the Enhancer is useless.
- Temporal Force Field - Invented in the 2900s, this field protects the master time file. A modification of it protects workers at the Temporal Integrity Commission and puts them outside time. Therefore, they cannot erase themselves from history. It has the same limitations as the force field for the master time file, in that changes predating its invention can, conceivably, assure that it is never invented. This explains a canon issue whereby, during the ENT Shockwave episode, Daniels could not/did not explain to Archer why he (Daniels) continued to exist even though, apparently, his entire civilization was wiped out by bringing Archer to the 3000s.
- Trichronium - the temporal enzyme used in conjunction with the Temporal Enzymatic Drive. The time traveler is injected with or swallows it and, if the Temporal Enhancer is engaged, the traveler is sent through time and space. Once trichronium is eliminated from the body, the time traveler returns; it is prudent to carry an extra dose to keep the traveler going in case the level is getting low but the mission has not yet been completed. It smells and tastes a bit like cantaloupe.
For repairs or technical enhancements, sometimes engineers just have to bang on something, but tools include lots of other items.
- Phase cutter - these replace scissors, but the Quartermaster in the Times of the HG Wells series still uses old-fashioned scissors to cut hair, and an amateur gardener still uses old-fashioned pruning shears to tend to roses and other plants.
- Voice Masker - this technology is used to disguise voices, including going so far as to hide genders, ages, accents, etc. There are embedded (one is in a ceiling; another is inside a hand-held Communicator) and hand-held varieties. They are also used by some singers.
Other Technology and Inventions
Some original technology just doesn't fit into any other areas.
- Aluminoplastic - transparent aluminum is canon; it is the replacement for glass for windows and portholes. In my universe, this is a metal-plastic alloy hybrid and is the standard for making devices, e. g. medical implants, replicated devices, ships' hulls, etc.
- Baseball (Mirror Universe version) - baseball is played in the mirror (they don't have football), but the rules are rather different from our own.
- Mirror teams have twelve members and there are five bases. The three added players are an extra catcher, a second pitcher and a fourth baseman. There are no designated hitters. There are twin pitchers' mounds and twin batters' boxes. Instead of being in a diamond shape, the field is laid out in more of a pentagonal or hand-held fan shape to accommodate all of the infielders. Two batters hit at the same time; for practical reasons, a lefty pitcher is always paired with a righty hitter and vice versa. Hence, standing in the batters' boxes and viewed from the perspective of the home plate umpires, there is a lefty hitter on the left (pitched to by a RHP) and a righty hitter on the right (pitched to by a LHP). Pitches need not be simultaneous although it is better defensive strategy for the pitchers to toss at the same time so as to minimize all of the running around in the outfield if both hitters connect. Anyone can field the two balls in play, and anyone can make an out, even if the righty hitter is tagged out with the ball hit by the lefty hitter. There are five outs per side per inning.
- Dark matter flares - if temporal tags (a canon construction) are placed on something in the Mirror Universe, these flares must be set off in our universe for a time traveler to find the temporally tagged items. They look like black Christmas crackers and are set off similarly.
- Disposer - the trash receptacle is a kind of recycler/incinerator.
- Keys - for houses and rooms, keys are flat rectangular-shaped pieces of polymer with a notch cut out of the side. They can be colored for fun, and can be added to key chains much like we do today.
- Messages and Communications - as plot points, characters send and receive messages which are akin to email. I further require that they ask to speak with a particular character, in a particular place (e. g. "I'd like to speak to Doctor Phlox, on the NX-01."). This works almost like an old-fashioned switchboard operator but also allows the character to announce who they are contacting; so this is useful for exposition.
- Phase Bow - information on this weapon is in the blog post on phase bows.
- Phaseball - somewhat akin to paintball, this is a safe pretend combat game.
- Point Abic dishes - meant to look like satellite dishes, these are grey in our universe and copper-colored in the mirror. In both universes, they are on the planet called Lafa II. They are used by the Calafans to help amplify and direct dreams, but they are also used to keep the two universes separate, so they are meant to be a kind of Berlin Wall or 38th parallel.
- Sanitizer - a big dishwasher; there is one on the Enterprise.
- Searches for PADDs - characters sometimes run Google-style searches. Many of the search results are actual numbers found on the day that I Googled a particular word or phrase.
- Sleep Mode for PADDs - PADDs can go into sleep mode, which can include a slide show. Most characters use family photographs for the slide show.
- Tube Food - it looks like white toothpaste and only has a flavor if you imagine one. Not the same as vegetable paste tubes.
- Vegetable Paste Tubes - information can be found in the blog post on vegetable paste tubes.